Friday, May 30, 2008

The Art of Negative Thinking

I love Nordic humor. From my admittedly limited experience I conclude that they are, to a man, masters of awkward, understated comedy, and Negative Thinking is a fine example.

The basic premise is that a bitter and crippled man unwillingly joins a support group for the disabled. Obviously this is a ridiculously broad premise, and the joy is in the details. The subtle interactions between the members of the group at the beginning are priceless, even down to the odd smile or glance.

The filming is simple and perfect. The soundtrack is fun, and entirely internal to the film (no music that is not also heard by the characters). The writing is clever and heartfelt. I really want to give away some high points, but I shouldn't because the shock value is part of the humor. If you like The Office or Arrested Development, this movie is for you.

No comments: