Saturday, May 30, 2009

Warlords

A friend had this to say after seeing this movie: "There are movies where Jet Lee cries, and then there are good Jet Lee movies." I'm paraphrasing, but the point is valid. There's something about a movie that requires Jet Lee to cry, and further that fails to require him to kick a tremendous amount of ass, that just doesn't really work.

Warlords is the story of three friends who rise through the Chinese military in some ancient dynasty in a series of daring victories. Fighting, betrayal, and intrigue end up with a lot of people dead, but by the end I was having a hard time caring. The visuals are beautiful as always in this type of film, and the acting and music are fine as far as that goes. The plot gets pretty fragmented in the second act, though, which really doesn't help make me care about the climax. Maybe worth seeing if you're into this particular sub-genre, but as someone who really isn't, I can't say that I recommend it.

No comments: